As a new Administration comes to Washington, DC, now is a critical time for us to work together as refuge supporters and members of the Friends community to protect our National Wildlife Refuge System.
If we wish to galvanize support and make a difference in Washington, DC, it is essential to be familiar with, and have relationships with, your newly elected or re-elected congressional leaders.
Don’t know who your newly elected officials are? Click on the links below to find out:
As refuge supporters and members of the Friends community, what can you do to help?
- Subscribe to the Refuge Association’s Monthly Flyer and Action Alerts to stay informed on refuge issues and find out how you can take action
- Learn about effective solutions to Make Your Voice Heard in Washington, DC
- Learn about the impact of the Friends community to protect and conserve refuges
- Mobilize members of your community to send letters to your congressional leaders about important refuge issues
- Make sure that your lawmakers in the House and Senate are subscribed to your Friends organization’s monthly newsletter
- Congratulate your congressional leaders on winning their election and continue developing a dialogue to build strong relationships with them
- Schedule a meeting with your members of Congress to talk about your local national wildlife refuge, the importance of public lands, the values your refuge brings to your local community and its economy, and what your lawmakers can do to help
- Write Letters to the Editor in your local newspaper about the benefits your local national wildlife refuge provides to your community and the importance of public lands
Throughout 2017, we expect there will be many anti-public lands bills introduced in the House, and we need refuge supporters like you to let Congress know that the removal of public lands is not the will of the American people. Thank you for standing up to support the National Wildlife Refuge System and all public lands.