OVERVIEW RULES PRIZES WINNERS GALLERY
More than 800 photographs representing wildlife refuges in 41 states and two territories were submitted into this year’s contest. Entrants highlighted the diverse, natural beauty found on our National Wildlife Refuge System–at nearly half a billion acres, it’s the world’s largest network of lands and waters dedicated to conserving fish and wildlife.
Our grand prize winner will receive a check for $1,000. The second through fourth place winners and honorable mentions will receive prizes from our generous contest sponsors: Eagle Optics, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Orvis and Wild Bird Centers.
View the winning photographs and 10 honorable mentions, below.
Dennis Davenport of Portland, Ore.
- American Kestrel at Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge in Wash. | Credit: Dennis Davenport
Craig Goettsch of Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron at J.N. Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge in Fla. | Credit: Craig Goettschof
Steve Dimock of Bandon, Ore.
- Harbor seal pup at Oregon Islands National Wildlife Refuge in Ore. | Credit: Steve Dimock
Freddie Beckwith of Pottsboro, Texas
- Gulf fritillary at Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge in Texas | Credit: Freddie Beckwith
10 Honorable Mentions
- Purple Gallinule at Anahuc National Wildlife Refuge in Texas | Credit: Susan Ellison
- A sub-adult short-tailed albatross at Midway Atoll National Wildlife Refuge | Credit: Daniel Clark
- Early morning at Ruby Mountains, part of Ruby Lake National Wildlife Refuge in Nevada | Credit: Sharon Lindsay
- Bobcat at Tule Lake National Wildlife Refuge in California | Credit: Susan Dimock
- Kit Fox at Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge in Delaware | Credit: Edward Norman
- Sandhill cranes making a late evening flight at Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge in New Mexico | Credit: Sandy Zelasko
- Ponds at Bruce Road within Finley Wildlife Refuge in Oregon | Credit: Betsy Norris
- Great egrets in their breeding plumage at Harris Neck Wildlife Refuge in Georgia | Credit Mary Ellen Urbanski
- Elk during sunset at Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge in Montana | Credit: Kristine Manley
- American bumblebee on Wisteria at St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge in Florida | Credit: Milinda Christiansen